Choose Tap Water for a Sparkling Smile
Every February, the American Dental Association (ADA) sponsors National Children’s Dental Health Month to raise awareness about the importance of oral health. This year’s campaign is “Choose Tap Water for a Sparkling Smile.”
This is why we love tap water:
- Tap water is fluoridated in many of our surrounding communities. Drinking fluoridated water can prevent tooth decay by 25% in children and adults.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention named community water fluoridation one of the greatest public health advances of the 20th If the community water supply is not fluoridated, or the family has a well, we recommend a caries risk assessment to determine the need for fluoride supplementation.
- If children get in the habit of drinking water they are less likely to have drinks with added sugar.
- It reduces the negative impact of plastic water bottles on the environment.
- Many bottled waters do not contain fluoride which helps prevent tooth decay.